Me, my beloved Ateneo and You

June na pala, aside sa malapit na naman ang aking kaarawan,  mas nalalapit na ang pasukan. So let me do this post that should be published months ago kaya lang di ko matapos tapos. Try ko nalang i-relate... Anyway, have you ever wondered why I choose Ateneo among other Universities here in Bicol or in the country?! Ganito lang naman yun... Kung pano ako nagsimula at nagtapos sa aking belabed na unibers.
_________________________________________________________________________________

It was never on my plan and never in my dreams to enroll in Ateneo. I was a high school student before who wants to become a nurse somewhere in the future (it's trending that time and it's the dream of my parents and relatives for me), so I decided to go for Sta. Isabel were the nuns are the rulers, given the thought that they produce the best nurses on earth and students will surely have a God driven life. Nevertheless, since I was a kid I always see myself wearing a white uniform at work (nurse, doctor, seaman, chef or a priest). But how come I end up in my beloved Ateneo?! And worst I did not pursue of becoming a nurse!

Simple! I realized I cannot afford to take the responsibilities given to a nurse. I might be one of the reasons why  death rate will increase in the near future. So as quick as the blink of an eye, I took the Ateneo's entrance exam in our school instead of the USI's qualifying exam. Luckily, the result was above average. Thanks to my seatmate, but unfortunately he can't come with me, his family can't afford the tuition fee or even the miscellaneous fee.

That's it, my mom accompanied me during the first day of enrollment without any course to choose in mind. In my admission form, I just put Nursing as my first choice, Education for the second and Development Communication as my last choice  (these were the only courses familiar to me) . However, during the interview segment, I suddenly changed my thoughts and picked AB-Communication as my final course. WTF t'was quick! But my mom had shown no violent reaction about it. I didn't even have any idea regarding the degree but i know it's about communicating to other people which is more likely to be a course where we will talk a lot.

Tadaaa!!! Officially enrolled in this very prestigious university in Bicol

Ateneo de Naga University
Nico John L. Dino
AB-Communication 
2008-1-0183

Like any other student that came from an uncivilized barrio and then suddenly went across rivers to study civilization...

The first day of my college life (ORSEM 2008), coming from an unknown and open-space public school, I was kinda afraid and nervous not because i'm scared of getting lost from the tall buildings that surrounds the campus, but because of the unfamiliar and strange faces that might belittle me. I feel so small and unnoticeable that very moment. I am so quite the whole time until I realized I went to a wrong group of students. It was the group of Education majors where I join, but I don't mind. As minutes, hours, days and years passed I finally found the right place in the university where i should belong (Media Studies Dept.).

That was a totally new environment for me and I really had a difficult start in coping up and adapting to people and norms inside the university. There was even a point where I already want to quit and leave the place because of the pressures it gives to me. Nevertheless, the journey and adventure that I had experienced in Ateneo was the most memorable scenario in my eighteen years of living. The four years, I feel like riding on a ferris wheel, there were a lot of turning ups and downs and sometimes I am stuck in the middle, those experiences made me stronger and even wiser, and of course to be men with and for others. I never regret at all, rather I am very very very thankful a hundred times that I came here in this university not just to study and learn but to experience the true essence of life and finding my own self.

Ateneo, its Jesuit education, has too many to offer to their students who are willing and persistent to learn. They not only give the right knowledge but also hone you as an individual. Will show you how to live a truthful and fruitful life. And will help you find you own self for you to be men and women for/with others. Sad for me because I was already in my mid year when I came to know and realized those things. However, that didn't stop me from still enjoying and fulfilling those things that I can still accomplish until my last year of stay. I did everything to expend all the amenities and opportunities granted to us. I can say that Ateneo and being a true-blooded Atenista is one of the best choice a man could make.

Hence, in every journey... it has to end at a certain point... a point where you are forced to stop for a while and decide which path to take, and all you can do is to thank back the people who will be left behind.

Finally, YES with a deep sigh! HOORAY with a doubt! and HALLELUJAH with full of hopes! I am a Graduate of Bachelor of Arts in Communication...

See how happy I am as I went across the
four pillars and  received my fake diploma
photo credits: Marie Trinidad
And to quote Ate Abby: "Probably if not everybody, at least most who graduated last night was as happy as I am, but I still want to believe that my happiness is special on its own way. Though it also scares me because graduating in college means starting a new beginning and new beginning is hard, I still cannot deny the happiness that surface on my heart. I never thought that I was able to make it possible, finishing it on my own."

Indeed, the graduation rites was very one of a kind and very memorable, and all at the same time giving a burst of peculiar happiness. It was raining and we were soaked wet with our togas and caps. We were like kids playing under the cold and slight heavy rain. The happiness I was feeling was kinda strange because even though I cannot describe what it feels like. It may not be genuine happiness, maybe a feeling of happiness that is filled with different emotions all at once. However, the most important thing to me was I know I am happy because I see my classmates, mentors, relatives and of course my parents indeed happy for me.

After sleepless nights of studying just to pass all the Math subjects, after memorizing lessons in our Theology subjects, after chasing the deadlines just to finish the school requirements, after several weeks of homesickness because I had to settle important matters, and times that I had to cry forcefully because I made a huge mistake. After all these worthy shits, I can proudly say that I did it with a big smile, I made it even without flying colors. Though I didn't get the Distinction in Communication and Cum Laude award that I wished to have, I’m still very glad that I passed all the subjects without retaking or getting an F or an AF marks despite being so stubborn. I am also proud to say that I know I had contributed even a piece of kindness in the university and in return the university made my every year stay in Ateneo worth remembering...

Need to ride on a boat to reach the community, and that
T-shirt I am wearing there still perfectly fits on me now! :)
Freshmen: Despite from being culture shocked, I did my very best to adjust and get along with the people. I studied harder to prove to myself that I am worthy to be called Atenean. Yeah! I am very serious at this time. And what made me very happy was, for the first time I got a grade of 90 in my Basic Algebra subject and I think I was the one who got the highest (also the highest in my history of Math). I did not expect it at all because I am too slow like a snail when it comes to problem solving. Maybe it's because I always carry the bag of our professor. Anyway, joining outreach activities was also my first time here.


Remember the time when we all wanted to become
a professional photographer and own a DSLR.
Sophomore: By this time, I am still finding my own reason why I should pursue my course. Several times I asked and visualized myself to what future was waiting for me. I couldn't even find my passion and interests here. However, photography class came and gave the reason why I should stay. I was deeply in love with photographs and cameras. On the other hand, I also started to build strong bonds with my peers and decided to join an organization (College Guidance Center) which serves as my home and comfort zone inside the campus. Definitely, photographs and the place which we call "Lungga" enlightened and gave me a fresh start.

During the shoot of the epic episode of "Bonsai"
Missing the Feeling Nuts Production and overnights
Junior: I can consider this as the best year in my entire college life. I think this has been a roller coaster ride for me, from being happy and sad  to being down graded by others and getting up to give a good fight. Slowly all my dreams came into reality. From theater arts presentation, community communication, volunteer activities, making our own self-produced videos, our internship experience to mention, and so on and so forth that unleashed our potentials as Communication majors. This was also the time where the make or break friendships happened. Definitely this was a total fun and a lot crazy experience.

Last day sa belabed unibers...
Senior: This is also one of the most memorable year because I had to endure and overcome all the obstacles that hinder my growth and success. Thanks to all the people who helped me and stick with me all the time. I cannot mention all of you pals but you all know who you are. Thank you very much because in my last year of stay here in the university I found many people that are all worthy to be treasured. Anyway, I would like also to express my deepest gratitude for accomplishing our Thesis. That was one hell of a masterpiece in one way or another.

I cannot put everything into one post, but I guess what I have written above were somehow enough  to ease and express the uncertainty I'm feeling right now (including grammar loss). And to quote a friend again "This journey will not be complete without the people who were part of this ride. I still have that graduation hang over but I think I have to thank the long list of people who were part of my ride to finish line. The people whom I laugh with, I cried with and the people who whole heartedly understand and supported my endeavor."

SALAMAT NG BUONG PUSO

CC11 Pungits Family
Faculty of Media Studies
Professors in all my minor subjects
Friends from MS Dept.
Friends from Ateneo
Lungga (G-kids)
Guidance Counselors
Ate Bitat
Ate Madel
Papa
Mama
Sa inyong lahat na nagmamahal sa akin...

I dedicate my happiness & success to all of you!


Who's that monkey bear?!
ANG SAYA MAGING COLLEGE - HINDI AKO MAGSASAWA
______________________________________________________
I'm now ready leave and for the last time turn my back to bid goodbye to my college life. Thanks for the memories. I'm gonna miss those times I was a college student of Ateneo. *crying hard nowwwww!